OneGeology is not a legal entity; it is a non-corporate body (a Consortium) supported through the trust of its Members and, in particular, the Lead Parties.
OneGeology is governed by the Operations Group, which is made up of Heads of Informatics from Principal, Associate and Corporate Members of OneGeology, it is responsible for the operational issues, and is the decision making body for the implementation of OneGeology Strategy. The Operations Group takes direction from the Strategic Steering Committee, which is made up of Heads of Geological Surveys or their International Divisions who are subscribing Principal, Associate or Corporate Members, they meet biennially and are responsible for providing OneGeology Strategy, which will define priority programme areas. Both are supported by the permanent administration provided by the Lead Parties.
The Finance, Administration, Web Services Support, and the Portal Operations teams, were established to ensure support is given to the coordination of the project and to assure the continuity of the initiative. The former are based in the British Geological Survey (BGS) and the latter in the Bureau de Recherches Géologiques et Minières (BRGM).
The Consortium, its Operations Group, and management staff have the responsibility to further the Objectives of OneGeology. The Steering Committee, Operations Group and Consortium has the power to do anything within the law that may promote or may help to promote any or all of the Objectives, but nothing outside the Objectives.
The Steering Committee and the Operations Group are responsible to, and potentially made up of all the subscribing Consortium Members. The Operations Group is linked to the various Working Groups that work hard on achieving the goals of OneGeology, and to External funding sources that provide additional funding for assuring the sustainability of OneGeology.
Income from subscribing Members membership fees and other sources, is used to provide administrative services and technical coordination functions (data web services and portal) supported at a core level by the two Lead Parties.
Financial and accounting arrangements of the Consortium are transparent to all Members and audited annually by qualified individuals selected by the Operations Group.
Memorandum of understanding
In June 2007, a Memorandum of Understanding (.pdf) was signed by the global bodies that support the endeavours of the OneGeology initiative.
OneGeology Strategic Steering Committee (OSSC)
- The OSSC is drawn from all OneGeology Principal Member Heads (National Geological Survey Heads or equivalent).
- The Strategic Steering Group will appoint a Chair from within its members who will act as a single point of contact for the Group. The Chair serves for a term of two years and her/his position can be renewed.
- The responsibility of the OSSC is to provide OneGeology Strategy which will define priority programme areas. The Committee will normally expect to meet once every two years.
OneGeology Operational Group (OOG)
- The OOG membership is nominated by all Principal Member and Associate Member organisations.
- The OOG is responsible for determining the operational structures necessary to deliver the Objectives defined in consortium agreement section.
- The OOG will approve Terms of Reference for any working groups or committees it deems necessary to establish and will appoint their Chairs. Such committees will be chaired by OOG members.
- The OOG is responsible for the financial viability of the Consortium and is authorised to establish membership fees and to seek other sources of funding in support.
- The OOG will meet up to four times a year or as needed with at least one face-to-face meeting per year.
- The OOG may invite observers to participate in its meetings or its sub-committee meetings.
- The OOG will be chaired by or co-chaired by nominated representatives of the two lead parties by agreement between them.
Technical Implementation Group (TIG)
- The primary goal of the OneGeology TIG will be to specify, develop, test, agree, document and support the implementation of the technical capabilities that are required to deliver the OneGeology Objectives.
- The OneGeology TIG shall consist of persons nominated by OneGeology Principal and Associate Members.
- The OneGeology TIG will be co-chaired by nominated representatives of the organisation that is providing the administrative and technical support services to data contributors to OneGeology and by the organisation that is hosting the OneGeology Registry and Portal.
- The OneGeology TIG will hold meetings at least annually
OneGeology response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine (PDF): OneGeology condemns the Russian government's invasion of Ukraine and calls for a stop to anymore senseless loss of life, we are shocked and saddened by the humanitarian crisis.